A memorial to John Wordsworth; William's brother. The stone marks the spot where, on September 29th 1800, William and John bade farewell to each other for, what they didn't know on that occasion, would be the last time.
John was a Commander of the East Indiaman "Earl of Abergavenny", a ship that sank of Portland on 5th February 1805; claiming the lives of almost 300 people, including William's brother. The shipwreck was so serious that it resulted in the launch of the first life boat in Weymouth in 1805. The wreck was also one of the earliest salvage attempts with a diving bell, by a Mr Braithwaite who employed the bell and gunpowder to uncover and collect the treasures. John Wordsworth's sword can be seen at Rydal Mount.
Canon Rawnsly, arranged for William's poem to be carved into the rock in the 1880s.